Thursday, January 20, 2011

My Old Dutch - High Holborn

Hallo (Hello in Dutch) or Dag (Hi),

Now I really think you will like this one...



I've had my eye on this place for quite a while now but didn't really know what to expect, perhaps a small, paint-peeling, old fashioned, pre-heated dutch type restaurant that has nothing dutch about it apart from the name. How wrong could I be, mind you as you first enter you see a small section of the place which is empty and you think 'uh oh', but then you whisk your head round the corner to be greeted by a lovely waitress and your gobsmacked by the other side of the place which is very big and has a lot of people munching away at ginormous pancakes. I rolled my tongue back in to my mouth and pretended I hadn't already read the menu half an hour ago to work out what I wanted.

My Old Dutch was first established in 1958 serving traditional Dutch sweet and savoury pancakes with desserts. The website also offers some little factoids about Dutch culture and the history of the pancake.

The decor resembles what I imagine a Dutch country style is with thick wooden tables and chairs, light neutral colours and spacious but homely.


Ok so this is a glass of Coke (2.45), not going to review Coke as I'm sure you all know and love it (no room for Pepsi in this world)! Just a couple of points I think are worth mentioning, the iconic Coke glass for one, it's a must have, it's like how coke tasted better out of a glass than a plastic cup or bottle. Well psychologically Coke tastes better coming from a Coke glass than a normal one. Same goes for the use of the glass Coke bottle.


Next up is Bitterballen (5.25), as much as the spicy wedges on the table next to me looked great I decided to go for Dutch meatballs. A little reluctant due to not being a big fan of Sweedish meatballs, in fact meatballs in general because I have not yet had a meatball better than my mother's (apart from maybe tinned meatballs - joke - I know she reads this so I have to get a joke in somehow)!

Now the Bitterballen did seem a little odd, they tasted nice but heavily struggled to find the meat as it was mostly flour, they were more like arancini with flour instead of rice and meat. But I thought this might be a Dutch thing so I googled Bitterballen and found out they are meant to be like that so apologies if I seemed to be disecting the balls with great dissapointment.

There were 5 altogether and they were very crisp, nice and hot and the taste wasn't bad either. It consisted of small amounts of almost shredded meat, alot of flour and I did detect a hint of curry powder. This was served with a strong grain mustard and a half dead, limp salad leaf on the side. Good to try at least once, you know....when in Dutch.....(I know it's not called Dutch but it sounded funny) but I guess the spicy wedges would have been more to my taste.
Look at this beauty, wow! This is the 'My Old Dutch' savoury pancake (9.95) and believe me this thing is humungus, its like a 20 inch pizza on a soft and melt in the mouth freshly made pancake.

It is made of grated cheese (doesn't specify if its mozzarella, it does look slightly different), nice crispy slices of smoked bacon, grilled chicken (difficult to see embedded in the pancake but it is there), mushrooms, small pepper slices, mushrooms, ham and sweet corn. Although it looks like a pizza it doesn't taste like a pizza and quite rightly so, its just a damn good way to have a pancake.

No real special amazing tastes for this one as it is how you would imagine chicken and bacon to taste together, the real taste tests would be with something like the lamb stew or even the apple, bacon and maple syrup 'Amsterdammer'. Still a delicious meal though, the pancake itself is really something, overwhelmed by the size and overwhelmed by how soft and addictive every bite is. But do remember this is a pancake and not a large Domino's pizza so this really is not as filling as it looks, im sure most of my lot could eat two lots and still find room for dessert!

If your really hungry, perhaps go for an interesting starter like the Bitterballen and choose the spicy wedges as a side order to the pancake.


I did say this blog was for BIG eaters, you will certainly feel right at home here.




I really don't know whether to feel proud or disgusted with myself here! I'm feeling positive so I will go for proud. You can order sweet pancakes of the same size as the savoury with this same topping or the much loved sugar and lemon, however I felt as if I should go for a waffle.
This is a banana, nuts, whipped cream and chocolate sauce waffle (5.50). There are two freshly made waffles powdered with icing sugar, it's almost like eating one of those hot guilty pleasure doughnuts you get at theme parks. On top is a split banana with whipped cream, chopped nuts and a pot of rich chocolate sauce which I began to artistically pour then decided to dump the lot in one go a get stuck in!
Waffles are scrumtous, whipped cream is a usual, I can never fault a banana because I love them too much, chocolate sauce is also delicious, mix them altogether and glutton is all of your seven sins for the day.
The Verdict:
GO GO GO GO GO, this has to be tried no matter what, large pancakes, gluttonous desserts, that tingly feeling that you pretend you are in the Netherlands for a an hour or so and people who know how to make pancakes and waffles well.
Staff were friendly but a little distant, took my dessert plate without asking if I wanted anything else or the bill, probably would have left me there for a while if I didnt call them back. However they were nice enough for me to let that one slide. Food is served quite quickly which is always a bonus!
Hot tip: All pancakes are 5.00 on a Monday, just a shame that pancake day is on a Tuesday. But Shrove Tuesday get yourself down here, endulge in a Maccy D's pancake breakfast in the morning, savoury and sweet pancakes for lunch at My Old Dutch and then have homemade ones at home!
Will be returning on pancake day armed with cash and having starved myself for a week!
Total bill came to 25.60 incl starter, main, dessert and 2 drinks.

7/10


My Old Dutch on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment