Thursday, February 3, 2011

Eataly - Holborn

Right now I am grinning like a cheshire cat in a mirage garden where pampas grass is fresh tagliatelle, birds are grilled chickens and a mud puddle is a glorious cup of freshly ground bitter coffee.

Against my better judgement and the fact that it's Chinese New Year, I reverted back to my Italian blood needing to find that little Italian cafe knowing I would instantly think I had better when I was 5 years old. Fortunately though I ran out Chinese places to go to and God forbid I be reminded about the story of my mother's pet rabbit being eaten, again! It reminds me of The Godfather scene (brilliantly re-enacted by Silvio in The Sopranos) where Michael says "everytime I try to get out, they pull me back in". This place certainly did!


So just past Holborn station, I found Eataly! A rather catchy play on word which I thought was too amusing not to go in! Set up by a group of Italians who are passionate about food and have dabbled in restaurants, catering companies and patisseries (just like the rest of my lot - kudos to me trying to break the cycle but ending up working for a food and drink agency). As their website states 'throw in an Inglese (Englishman) and it's the perfect recipe for success'...I don't think that would go down well with most Italians, the recipe for success in my father's eyes is saying the words "dohn't wohrry, it be oh-k, noh problehm".

It's good to know that it's authentic Italian but I hope that it remains consistent and doesn't revert to cutting corners like most do.
I didn't make it to take photos inside as it was crowded so I stole some from Google....



A really stylish place which is modern and has a few rustic touches such as thick wooden tables, baskets and a shelf unit with bags of pasta and panettones. A small place which looks widened by its decor, nice reds and neutral colours complimenting eachother, open, clear and spotless deli counter and inviting food choices. But what caught my eye the most is the giant industrial Gaggia coffee machine on the right hand side, now that's good stuff, didn't try the coffee though because otherwise there's nothing to go back to. Seating is limited but worth it if you can, served with really nice curved plates and beautiful looking food.



Loving the bag.....





Loving the food too....

When I entered I took some time to browse the counter and instincts took over when only one piece of lasagne remained lonely and needing stomach lined comfort. I adopted it mostly out of spite to prevent someone else having the last piece and because when this happens at Valentino's round the corner with the pesto chicken pasta, 'someone' (if she is reading this) goes for it and the gentleman that I am lets her have it (on three occasions) and when I finally get it there's no chicken in it! But also because I haven't homemade lasagne for bloody ages and I craved it instantly.


A bit too much parmesan cheese covering the top but it's not exactly a fault is it? The lasagne was 'well nice' and it was good lasagne which wasn't floury like the one I had at Carluccio's and was definitely worth the £5.50. The top layer is very crispy but in a dry way rather than a burnt way which does suggest it has been heated for quite a while but that's expected for a deli. It does have that heavenly reheated taste to it too but that brings back memories of when I used to creep downstairs in the morning and steal the corners of the leftover lasagne in the fridge. But I was very happy to have a great hearty and better than average lasagne.


My only two complaints are the choice of box and cutlery. The box needs a fold down side and the cutlery needs to be sharper and stronger for a lasagne.


Heavily recommend this, but the grilled chicken and sandwiches also looked very nice. Some sandwiches did exceed the £6.00 mark which was a bit odd considering how the lasagne was more plentiful and cheaper. But maybe they are just that good! We'll see next week.



Most deli hangers-around would know of the nectar of the gods that is the peach (pesca) or pear (pera) nectar sold in expensive (roughly £2.00-3.00) little bottles but well worth the price. I used to go through crates of this as a child (and still now) at all the family parties. You can find them in many delis and whole foods shops by different brands. Granini probably being the most widely available.

They didn't have the pear which is seriously the best one, peach is just as good or a blood orange San Pelligrino does the trick.




Last up was the orange cake (£2.00 a slice). Wasn't too fond of this, I am an orange fanatic from orange smarties to the colour and the fruit. My grandmother's maiden name was even Arancio (which is orange in Italian). The cake was not very wholesome, rather light in a cheaply made way, the flavour of the orange did not come through very well and the sugar layering on top make it sickly sweet. I suspect this is ordered in as an extra so I doubt it reflects on the quality and flavour of the rest of their food. Good thing we have an expert cake maker in the family, I'm sure she could sort me out a good orange cake...HINT HINT!

Instead I would recommend the 5 cadbury chocolate eclair sweets for £1.00 at the front of the counter, why not buy 10 for the same price as the cake.



THE VERDICT:


Given that I would need to try a few more items to give this a proper score, but I am confident it reflects how much I enjoyed the food, the atmosphere and the discovery.

The staff were very polite, well organised and efficient, the shop was spotless and extremely well presented. Price was fair for the lasagne and there is no doubt I will be returning next week!

Altogether for the lasagne, cake and drink it came to £9.75, you can opt not to have the cake and go for a cheaper drink and pay little of £6.00. Can't argue with that!

6.5/10


Address: 86 Kingsway, Holborn. Turn left out of Holborn Station main entrance and it's a few steps ahead.


Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Isn't there a website?
    My brother, italian who lives in London, would work there !

    ReplyDelete